Do I need to do community service hours to graduate?
No, it is not necessary to do volunteer work to receive a NMHS diploma.
What are the reasons why I should volunteer?
- Gain valuable life experiences and skills
- Great way to meet new people
- Colleges love seeing what you do on your free time!
Keep in mind that colleges do not want to see a list of the clubs or organizations you were involved in. They want to see REAL examples of what you dedicated your time and energy to.
- There are scholarships for students who do volunteer work
How can I find out where I can do volunteer work?
- Ask your local church, former preschool or elementary school, local hospitals, city offices and/or community agencies (League of Volunteers, East Bay Regional Parks, etc,) to see what opportunities are available
- On campus check out school clubs that do community service, such as Interact, Environmental Club, M.E.CH.A. Club, Peer Tutorial, etc…
- Ask your parents if their job sites are looking for volunteers.
Before you volunteer ask yourself:
How much time can you commit and what kinds or skill/talents you do have? What do you want to LEARN from this experience? Will this experience help me prepare for my career goal???
How do I keep track of my community service hours?
- You are responsible for keeping track of where you volunteer and how many hours you work
- At the end of your service ask your supervisor to give you a letter with the following information:
- Name of Non-profit agency and address
- Hours worked (unpaid work only)
- Duties you provided
- Supervisor name and phone number