About Faculty Attendance Contact Us Forms & Docs School Accountability Reports Departments Bullying & Anonymous Tips PAWS
Info for Parents Attendance Code of Conduct Discipline Policy Freshmen Information Local Community Resources Music Boosters Parent Teacher Student Association Testing
Activities Office Advanced Placement College & Career Center Counseling Center Bell Schedule Computer Lab Library
Activities Office Clubs Gradfaq
Performing Arts MCA KUGR Network
Cougar Athletics Wrestling Student-Athlete Advisory Council
Home Page Logo

College and Career Center FAQ

  • What is Newark Memorial's High School code?
    • 052114


  • What tests are required for students applying to four year colleges?
    • Most schools require either the SAT or the ACT. 
    • Additionally, the University of California and some private/independent colleges require the SAT Subject Test. UC requires two different subjects of your choice.
    • If taking the ACT, and planning to apply to a UC campus, you must add the writing option.


  • What is the A-G list?
    • Academic courses required for admission to a four year college. 
      4 years of English 
      3 years of Math (Algebra, Geometry, Algebra II/Trig (4 years recommended) 
      2 years of Lab Science (3 years recommended) 
      2 years Foreign Language (3 years recommended) 
      2 years Social Science 
      1 Fine/Performing Art 
      1 College Prep Elective (be sure to check the UC approved course list for a list of accepted college prep electives)
  • Can you help students find jobs?
    • The College and Career Center recommends students look on SnagAJob.com for local job opportunities. However, we also post positions as we are made aware of them. 


  • What is the best way to get scholarship money for college?
    • There are a variety of opportunities for scholarship money available at the College and Career Center. Newark Memorial itself offers community scholarships and the applications can be obtained in March from the College and Career Center. We also have printed scholarship information inside our center for students to browse. 


  • Early Decision vs. Early Action?
    • ED and EA allow you to both apply and learn the college's decision earlier than regular admission. Early Decision is binding. If accepted, you must attend that school and withdraw any applications sent to other schools. You won't be able to compare financial aid offers. Early Action is not binding. If accepted, you may compare admissions and financial aid offers from other schools and wait to commit to the college later in the year. Some schools now offer Single-Choice Early Action-this option is similar to early action, except that you agree to not apply early to any other colleges.


  • What is Transfer Agreement Guarantee and how can I benefit from it?
    • The Transfer Agreement Guarantee (TAG) is an agreement between six UC's (Davis, Irvine, Merced, Riverside, Santa Barbara, and Santa Cruz) and the California Community Colleges (CCC) to guarantee admission to students who meet certain requirements. For more information visit http://www.uctap.universityofcalifornia.edu