About Faculty Attendance Contact Us Forms & Docs School Accountability Reports Departments
Info for Parents Attendance Code of Conduct Discipline Policy Freshmen Information Local Community Resources Music Boosters PTSA Testing
Activities Office Advanced Placement College & Career Center Counseling Center Bell Schedule Computer Lab Library
Activities Office Clubs
Performing Arts MCA KUGR Network
Cougar Athletics Fall Sports Winter Sports Spring Sports Basketball Wrestling Football Champions of Character Newark Ring of Honor Athletics Hall of Fame Student-Athlete Advisory Council
Home Page Logo

School Food

RHSCafeteria3-1024x768.jpg

Is The Food At Newark Memorial Healthy?

My name is Rio Edejer.  I am 16 years old and a junior at Newark Memorial High School.  My purpose for writing this essay is that the kids at this school have unhealthy diets and I am going to try to change that.  This is important because if we fall into these bad eating habits as teenagers, they will follow us for the rest of our lives and will lead to many health issues such as obesity, diabetes, cancer, and even death.  We are all born with only one body, so we should do our best to keep that body healthy and in the best shape!


The problem our school has is that they offer too many unhealthy, unappetizing, and not fresh foods.  For example, the pizzas are always drenched in pools of grease, the breakfast foods are always under cooked or still thawing, and the supposedly-healthy salads are plain, tasteless and usually still leaves kids hungry.  I know the food at this school is unsatisfying because many other students agree.  In a survey, 40 students were asked if they thought the school food was healthy and 36 out of the 40 say no the food is not healthy.  In another survey, students were asked what made the foods taste bad and 42.1% of them said the food was not fresh and another 42.1% of them said that the food tasted prepackaged and processed.  Combined, 84.2% of the group agreed that the food at Newark Memorial is not healthy, not appetizing, and not fresh!  My solution is that the school redesigns their whole food program. The new food program should include healthier/tastier foods, bigger servings, and more variety.